Since vegetables are virtually fat-free, they need to be brushed with oil to prevent them from sticking to the grill. Use a good quality olive oil, plenty of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook vegetables over direct heat, but don't crowd them or they'll cook unevenly. If the vegetables are done too soon, push them off to the side and bunch them together. This slows the cooking but keeps the vegetables moist and warm. Vegetables are cooked properly when they're soft enough to be pierced easily with a fork or the tip of a knife but still have some "bite" to them.
- 1 large eggplant (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and thin sliced length wise
- 5 Portobello mushrooms, cap thin sliced
- 2 green zucchini, thin sliced length wise
- 2 roasted red peppers, seeded
- 1 lb goat cheese
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 8 oz virgin olive oil
- 4 oz olive oil (to brush vegetables)
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- 4 oz parsley, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat grill for medium-hot coals (the coals should be covered with gray ash but still has a red glow). In a medium bowl add mascarpone, goat cheese, and virgin olive oil and whip with a hand mixer until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, salt & pepper; brush mixture generously onto vegetables. Coat the roasted red peppers with 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and place on the hottest part of the grill. Cook until the skins have blackened, turning regularly, about 10 minutes. Remove, allow cooling, and then peel off the outer skin. Grill vegetables, cut sides down, 4-5" from heat, 10-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a skewer, turning once. Place on a sheet pan to cool.
- Line a 7" round spring pan with plastic film wrap. Assemble tort by placing layer of vegetables and goat cheese mixture in any order, drizzling the olive oil, parsley, and basil between the layers. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and cut the tort like you would a cake, it can be served over lettuce of your choice.