- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 Red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium eggplant cut in cubes
- 1 Tbs capers (non-pariel)
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- 1 cherry pepper, chopped fine
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked plum tomatoes put through a food mill or food processor (carefully)
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan over medium heat, then add the onion and garlic and cook until the garlic is golden and the onion translucent. Add the eggplant, cherry pepper, salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Then stir in the tomatoes and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Cook the penne according to directions on the package. Place the drained pasta in a large bowl with half the sauce and grated cheese and mix well. Place in individual dishes and top with remaining sauce. Serve immediately.