- 1 lb whole wheat linguini
- 3/4 cup broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots, sliced thin or julienne
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 3 cups vegetable stock or bullion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of red pepper flake (Optional)
- To prepare the Primavera sauce: heat the oil in a large skillet and add the minced garlic and cook. Add the carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, peas and broccoli and stir until crispy tender for at least 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, the vegetable stock, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for five minute or until the vegetables are tender, but remain somewhat firm.
- Cook the whole wheat linguini according to directions on the package. Drain well in a colander and place the drained pasta in a large bowl, add half the sauce and grated cheese and mix well. Place in individual dishes and top with remaining sauce. Serve immediately.
- You can substitute the vegetable stock with heavy cream to make a "creamy" primavera or a small can of plum tomatoes to make a "marinara" primavera.